spacer.png, 0 kB
_Last Update on: 09/10/2014_
Online ...
We have 28710 guests online and 2 members online
Login





Lost Password?
Registered ...
1999 registered
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
 
Historical Perspectives PDF Print E-mail

Cardinal Péter Pázmány founded the predecessor of the present day University in 1635 at Nagyszombat (today Trnava in Slovakia), his bishop seat. On November 7, 1769 Queen Maria Theresa of Austria–Hungary attached a Faculty of Medicine to the former Faculties (Theology and Jura). The new Faculty was moved to Buda in 1777. The “Diploma Inaugurale” which stated the rights of the University and allocated the necessary financial means was signed in 1780. After a few years, the University moved to the other side of the Danube, to Pest. (Buda and Pest were independent cities at that time). In 1848, at the time of the National War of Independence , the former University of Nagyszombat became a National University.

The establishment of the present clinical departments and theoretical institutes started at the end of the 19th century at their present location in Budapest. These buildings are still in use after reconstruction and modernization. New clinics and institutes were built during the 20th century. In 1951, the Faculty of Medicine was reorganized into an independent medical school, and the institutional name was changed to Budapest University of Medicine. In 1955, Faculties of Dentistry and Pharmacy were incorporated into the University.
Image
Ignác Semmelweis
In 1969, the name of the University was changed to Semmelweis University of Medicine. The new name honors Ignác Semmelweis who discovered the cause of puerperal fever and was a professor and chairman on the Faculty of Medicine at the present 1st Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology.

Today, Semmelweis University incorporates the Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy, Physical Education and Sports Sciences and the College of Health Care. Semmelweis University was the first Hungarian higher educational institution, which, in addition to educate at the above faculties in Hungarian, started to offer an international program at the Faculty of Medicine in German in 1983, while its international program in English started in 1987, at the Faculties of Medicine, Dentistry and Pharmacy.
 
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
spacer.png, 0 kB
:: Copyright © 2006-2011 Semmelweis University :: Production by DataWeb Systems 2006 :: spacer.png, 0 kB